Tuesday, June 24, 2008

To market, to market...


I've made several references to our farmers' market theme, but I think it's high time I explain how it came to be!

Part 1: Davis, CA and Hong Kong

Tim and I actually set a date for the wedding before we were "officially" engaged. We had talked for a long time about getting married, had some discussions about wedding size and location, and even picked out a ring. After being together for (at that point) almost 6 years, I didn't want a long engagement. 

Also, because Tim is in academia and my work schedule changes so much, it was going to be hard to find a date that worked - and better to schedule it before more things came up. (I know, it's our wedding! but the nature of our work is such that it's really difficult to turn things down.) We both love fall, so that was that (and it worked out with the timeline); the date we chose ended up being the only one that fit into the schedule of my group. I did a bunch of online research, made some calls, went with Tim to visit the Fontainebleau, loved it, put down a deposit, and that was it. One venue visit. Done.


Soon after that visit to the Fontainebleau, we had the incredible opportunity to go to Hong Kong with the very same ART production we were in after my accident. Tim had the ring sent to Davis, CA, where we had several days of pre-tour rehearsals. 

After a series of classic Tim-and-Wendy mishaps involving 1) his wanting to open the FedEx box in front of me in the hotel room (and leaving the bright-orange-wrapped box atop the TV for two days) and then 2) his taking me to a rose garden that was, uh.... dead, we visited the coolest farmers' market EVER - where he proposed! It was the perfect place, and honestly, the blips made it that much more special. I will reiterate, though, that he stuck the ring on top of the TV for two days. :::shaking head:::

The amazing amazing amazing carousel at the Davis Farmers' Market, right where Tim proposed; the two of us atop Victoria Peak in Hong Kong, two weeks later. Yeah... it was windy. I swear my hair is better than that.


[Above: the un-bling, custom-made by Todd Reed. Tim is pickier than I am when it comes to jewelry, and this designer's work is one of the few we've been able to agree on (and still, not unilaterally!). It's channel-set, multi-colored raw diamonds, with one princess cut stone. Very unique; kind of weird; very much our style. It was really important to me that Tim love the ring too, especially because he insisted on paying for the whole thing.]

Part 2: Back to Ithaca

When we got back from HK, I happened to have a really light week, and my brain was immediately held hostage by all things wedding. I had already contacted Chrissy about my dress, and in a rare [prolonged] moment of decisiveness, I found ALL our major vendors. One of them was Audrey Norberg of Plenty of Posies - she has a very popular stand at the Ithaca Market. I had fleetingly thought about doing my own flowers, but Audrey's prices are so ridiculously reasonable (in addition to her work being gorgeous, of course!) that I couldn't justify the stress of DIY flowers. She also grows all her own flowers unless you have a request for something specific like calla lilies, which I do want for my bouquet. Her farm is local, sustainable, and as organic as is practically possible for her.



Audrey's farm (source); one of her stunning creations (source)

I had already been toying with ideas of using fruit as decoration, things that could be repurposed after the wedding, that sort of thing... and I had a light bulb moment. Ithaca is home to an incredible farmers' market, and we got engaged at an equally amazing one all the way across the country! I'd never been too keen on "theming" the wedding, but this seemed original, a little quirky, and fun to plan. And since I don't want to go overboard with the theme, we can stick with the "rustic elegance" thing and just add a few market-related touches. So - I'm picturing chalkboards aplenty, baskets of fruit with the cupcakes at dessert, and a couple other little things. 

I'm trying to think of a few more key ways to incorporate the theme in a way that's not too over-the-top. Could you help me out?


No comments: