Monday, October 6, 2008

Beribboned


Do you have certain words that you only saw in books, mispronounced in your head, and now have a hard time pronouncing correctly? For my mom, one of those words is "idiosyncrasy" - she apparently thought it was "ih-dee-AHZ-nih-cra-zee" when she was a kid. (Two little letters get innocently inverted and look what happens.) Now she just mispronounces it to be funny.

"Beribboned" is one of those words for me. I always thought it was "BERRY-boned." Haha!! Fortunately for me, it's not a word that generally comes up in daily conversation.

Anyway, right now I do want to talk about ribbons, and I have a DIY question for you. I love the look of the ribbons on this Ariella Chezar bouquet:



But I don't want to ask Audrey, who's doing our flowers, to do it - I'm already adding more work than I had originally asked her to do. Also... I can't cede power to anyone when I have a really clear idea of what I want. (The truth hurts.) So I was thinking - I have all this ribbon, champagne and bronze and ivory. I think those colors would look so pretty with the dark, jewel-toned flowers we're going to have. I'd like to make the ribbon cascades (for each of the bridesmaids and for myself) beforehand, and I don't think it'll be that hard once I figure out a method. 

So... what should I use to hold them all together? I was thinking of using plain elastic, about 1/2 inch wide. I could staple? glue? each ribbon to the elastic, covering the elastic itself and overlapping each other so the final product is really voluminous. Then the whole thing can be tied around the bouquet.

Any suggestions? Has anyone done something like this before?

5 comments:

CaitStClair said...

Oh man. I have so many of those words! (Most of my vocab comes from reading.) The most recent one was posthumous. I always thought it was post-humous, you know, like after the person has lived. Made sense to me! Um yeah, apparently not. The boy's face was priceless when I said it and he asked if I meant "pos-choo-mus". :-D

As far as the ribbon goes...I'm thinking glue sounds good, but I've never attempted this before. It may just take some trial and error.

Becca said...

What about knotting long pieces of ribbon around a hair elastic? I'm thinking that if you fold the ribbon in half and knot it where the fold is and keep going until you completely cover the hair band, it might work. I think this is one of those things where you just have to try out a bunch of things and see what works best though. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I'm embarrassed to say I pronounced 'tulle' like 'TOOL-ee' at a fabric store when I was wedding planning. Oh, the shame :)

Krista said...

I have to say, I have had the word "beribboned" (as pronounced "berry-boned") all week-end! :) Kinda like the way I sometimes get a song in my head, but with a word instead.

Sarah said...

Your bit about mispronouncing words reminded me of something I read long ago... http://portermason.com/tjmonkeys/2001/11/11/on-six-things-id-sort-of-rather-not-admit/ #4 is the relevant point. :)